Cheese and Curd Quota
The objective of the scheme is to improve the competitiveness of the Australian dairy industry through a combination of quota restrictions and tariff reductions.
Certain types of cheese and curd that can be imported at a concessional rate of duty is restricted to 11,500 tonnes a year. These cheeses and curds may be imported outside the 11,500 quota, but a higher rate of duty applies.
Types of cheese and curd covered
- • Fresh (unripened or uncured) cheese, (including whey cheese, and curd)
- • Grated or powdered cheese of all kinds
- • Processed cheese
- • Blue-veined cheese (excluding roquefort and stilton)
- • Certain other cheese.
Types of cheese and curd not covered
- • Roquefort and stilton
- • Cheese made wholly from goat milk other than fetta or kasseri
- • Surface-ripened soft cheese - for example, camembert and brie
- • Any cheese and curd eligible for New Zealand, Papua New Guinea, South Pacific Forum Island Countries, Singapore, United States of America or Thailand preference.
Cheese and curd not covered by the Scheme may be imported duty free.
General tariff rates
Inside quota rate: $0.096/kg ($96/tonne)
Outside quota rate: $1.220/kg ($1,220/tonne)
Please note the Customs Tariff should be checked to ensure these rates remain current.
In July each year, the quota (of 11,500 tonnes of cheese and curd) allocated to importers is in direct proportion to their past imports quota during a particular period.
Obtaining a quota
Importers may apply for quota by transfer from a current quota holder (either directly or through quota brokers). The names of quota holders are published in the Commonwealth of Australia Tariff Concessions Gazette (see below).
Applying for a transfer
Publication of quota holders
The names of importers who have an allocated quota are published in a Commonwealth of Australia Tariff Concessions Gazette each July. Details of any quota transfers are published in the Gazette every week.
For further information contact:
Australian Customs and Border Protection Service
Telephone: 02 6275 6239
Fax: 02 6275 6376
For quota transfer applications contact:
Cargo & Trade
Australian Customs Service
5 Constitution Avenue
CANBERRA ACT 2601