Customs media release
Man arrested over illegal import of machine gun parts - Friday, 19th June 2009
A 29-year-old Wooroolin man was arrested on Wednesday (17 June) and appeared before the Kingaroy Magistrates Court on two Customs charges relating to the illegal import of MG42 machine gun parts.
Customs and Border Protection investigators, supported by Queensland Police, executed search and seizure warrants at the man's residential address where they seized a number of German World War 2 era machine gun parts and components.
It is illegal to import armoury or parts of this nature without the relevant Commonwealth written permission.
The man was charged with importing prohibited goods without a permit, contrary to the Customs Act 1901.
Investigations into the alleged import attempt by the man began in November last year after Customs and Border Protection officers at the Sydney International Mail Centre intercepted a package from the United States addressed to him and declared as a 'rebuild kit'.
Customs and Border Protection National Manager Investigations, Richard Janeczko said yesterday's warrant action and the resulting arrest sends a strong message to the Australian community.
"Attempting to import these types of potentially deadly items without a permit will lead to an investigation and prosecution with a maximum penalty of 10 years in gaol," Mr Janeczko said.
The man was granted conditional bail and will appear in court for a mention on
Thursday 9 July.
For further details contact Customs and Border Protection Communication and Media
(02) 6275 6793.
Join the Media releases mailing list.