Operation Sovereign Borders
Operation Sovereign Borders (OSB) is a military-led, border security operation supported and assisted by a wide range of federal government agencies.
The OSB Joint Agency Task Force (JATF) has been established to ensure a whole-of-government effort to combat people smuggling and protect Australia’s borders.
The JATF is supported by three operational task groups:
- Disruption and Deterrence Task Group—led by the Australian Federal Police
- Detection, Interception and Transfer Task Group—led by the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service (ACBPS), which includes Border Protection Command (BPC)
- Offshore Detention and Returns Task Group—led by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).
Organisational chart (1 June 2014) (PDF 24.1 KB)
Media releases, operational updates and transcripts
Terms of Reference
- Review of Operation Sovereign Borders vessel positioning, December 2013 - January 2014 (PDF 45.4 KB)
Historical OSB data
- Illegal Entry Vessel Arrivals, 18 September 2013 to 17 October 2014 (PDF 278 KB)
- Historical Search and Rescue Incidents in Operation Sovereign Borders, September 2013 to September 2014 (PDF 307 KB)