Operation Sovereign Borders
Operation Sovereign Borders (OSB) is a military-led, border security operation supported and assisted by a wide range of federal government agencies.
The OSB Joint Agency Task Force (JATF) has been established to ensure a whole-of-government effort to combat people smuggling and protect Australia’s borders.
The JATF is supported by three operational task groups:
- Disruption and Deterrence Task Group—led by the Australian Federal Police
- Detection, Interception and Transfer Task Group—led by the Australian Customs and Border Protection Service (ACBPS), which includes Border Protection Command (BPC)
- Offshore Detention and Returns Task Group—led by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP).
Media releases, operational updates and transcripts
Terms of Reference
- Review of Operation Sovereign Borders vessel positioning, December 2013 - January 2014 (PDF 45.4 KB)
Historical OSB data
- Letter to the Standing Committee on Legal and Constitutional Affairs, 14 April 2014 (PDF 798 KB)
- Historical Search and Rescue Incidents in Operation Sovereign Borders, September 2013 – December 2013 (PDF 85KB)