Who can use
You are eligible to use SmartGate to self-process through Australia's passport control:
- If you hold an Australian, New Zealand or UK ePassport and you are aged 16 years or over.
Under trial arrangement, you can also use SmartGate:
- If you are a US Global Entry Program member who holds a US ePassport and you are aged 16 years and over. Please refer to the US Global Entry Program Trial web page for more details.
- If you hold a Singapore ePassport, you are 16 years or over. Please refer to the Singapore ePassport SmartGate Trial web page for more details.
- If you hold a Switzerland (Swiss) ePassport, are travelling into Sydney airport and are 16 years or over.
- If you hold an Australian ePassport, are aged 10 years or over and are travelling with a minimum of two adults.
Airline crew who meet these criteria can choose to use SmartGate instead of going through the crew lane.
Please note, Australian and New Zealand ePassport holders travelling on military orders are not eligible to use SmartGate
If you fulfill these requirements then you are automatically eligible to use SmartGate
- Note: please ensure that when you check in, the name printed on your Boarding Pass exactly matches your name printed on your ePassport. This will ensure you can use SmartGate without a problem.
What is an ePassport?
An ePassport has a microchip embedded in the centre pages and an international ePassport symbol on the front cover. The microchip contains the same personal information that is on the colour photo page of the ePassport, including a digitised photograph.