SmartGate gives eligible travellers the option to self-process through passport control.
You are eligible to use SmartGate to self-process through Australia's passport control:
- If you hold an Australian, New Zealand or UK ePassport and you are aged 16 years or over.
Under trial arrangement, you can also use SmartGate:
- If you are a US Global Entry Program member who holds a US ePassport and you are aged 16 years and over. Please refer to the US Global Entry Program Trial web page for more details.
- If you hold a Singapore ePassport, you are 16 years or over. Please refer to the Singapore ePassport SmartGate Trial web page for more details.
- If you hold a Switzerland (Swiss) ePassport, are travelling into Sydney airport and are 16 years or over.
- If you hold an Australian ePassport, are aged 10 years or over and are travelling with a minimum of two adults.
SmartGate uses the data in the ePassport and face recognition technology to perform the customs and immigration checks usually conducted by an Australian Customs and Border Protection Service officer.
For more information on the Australian ePassport please go to: http://www.passports.gov.au/